Friday, January 13, 2017

ONE POEM AT A TIME


THANK YOU for all the kind words!
I am deeply touched
and have tucked them all away for strength!
My last  post implied that I do not worry any more.
Ha!
I do worry.
A lot.
However, when I remember
to wake up and realize I am worrying
and I imagine Worry 
as a blobby robed creature 
and I welcome him, 
even link arms with him, 
reassure him that I understand why he is here yet again  
(of course I am worried! Welcome to being human!)
then my time spent worrying is a lot kinder and gentle.
Sometimes I even invite Worry to sit on a bench with me for a while. 
When I remember to do this,
Worry doesn't stick around nearly as long as he used to. 
Worry doesn't spiral into scared, fearful, or panic. 
And that is lovely!
I decided to memorize poetry to help me through radiation.
The first poem I memorized was The Guest House by Rumi.
It saved me.
Here it is:
The Guest House
This being human is a guest house.
Every morning a new arrival.
A joy, a depression, a meanness,
some momentary awareness comes
as an unexpected visitor.
Welcome and entertain them all!
Even if they are a crowd of sorrows,
who violently sweep your house
empty of its furniture,
still, treat each guest honorably.
He may be clearing you out
for some new delight.
The dark thought, the shame, the malice.
meet them at the door laughing and invite them in.
Be grateful for whatever comes.
because each has been sent
as a guide from beyond.
— Jellaludin Rumi,
translation by Coleman Barks




This is the quilt I made 
for Rumi's poem.


Here's me 
greeting the day's long line of feelings at the door
laughing
and inviting them in (even worry!).


Being grateful. 
Then letting the feelings go.


Here's Francois,
our new seven year old rescue,
who I have honored with the task
of being my healing buddy.
He is quite wise, understands, and loves unconditionally.


And as long as there are enough quilts to keep warm
he doesn't hang onto worry and
life is good  fabulous!

2 comments:

  1. You are so awesome. I wish I could be more like you in how you deal with life's "ups & downs"
    You truly are my hero

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love your quilts and your positivity!! Just want we need right now!

    ReplyDelete