Sunday, March 13, 2011

WORKING WITH SELVEDGES

selvedge: (from german) self + edge. The point of where one's own welfare is likely to begin

I used the selvedge from Freddy Moran's fabric for this tote bag

and in this, my favorite, tote bag

but I never thought about ONLY using selvedges for a quilt until Judy http://wildirishrowsquilting.blogspot.com/  starting collecting them and I thought, why not? 

This weekend, as I sewed with different groups,  I made ten of these blocks and LOVE THEM!
Simple, pure, fun.
One gal commented that she couldn't believe I had nothing else to do except this.
THIS
Really? (hee-hee)
 As a matter of fact, yes, I do have other projects, but this weekend I needed to do THIS, work with selvedges and contemplate being on the edge...on the verge of a more authentic self.

2 comments:

  1. What an incredible idea! I would never have imagined that selvedges could look so attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea! Thank you for sharing it - i'm gonna root around for selvedges now - very inspiring!!

    ReplyDelete