Monday, March 30, 2015

STILL SPINNING and WHAT IFING!

A long time ago
I took the best class I have ever taken
with a quilter named David Walker.
He suggested
that you could make a quilt

totally from your gut
just happily moving along
completely trusting
that the quilting muse
would guide you 
in the direction the quilt wanted to go.

I thank this quilting muse
when
I have just the right amount of thread
or
the unexpected perfect fabric
or
blocks that fit together perfectly
or
any time I sit down to sew.



I am still finding joy
in making Vintage Spin quilts
from Kathy Doughty's pattern!
I was using four of my gigantic spins
and a bunch of smaller ones I was making 
with a different color palette
when I was struck by the thought...

WHAT IF I use them all together in one quilt?
(gotta love embracing the what IFs!)


This is what I have so far.
I need to make a few more blocks for the bottom row.

(Thanks to my sons who tried to help
and shame on Walter who suddenly felt like he was a bull
and my quilt was a red cape!)


My other current project
is playing 
with all the leftovers
from turning the Vintage Spin wedge circles
into squares.


I sewed the cut offs together
and then used my diamond template.

Now I have all these stars.

Hmmm...






Not sure what is going to happen.
Knowing that whatever it is
it will be OK.

Focusing on joy
trusting

embracing the what if!



4 comments:

  1. love those huge swirls and the stars are excellent. lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning Stephanie....Leftovers are always good, whether it's food or fabric and while, I love your spinning blocks, I really love the stars from the leftovers. Can;t wait to see what that quilt turns out to be! Enjoy the day. lv2bquilting2@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wowie kazowie! The quilting muse does it again! Really, really fantastic. Love those stars too!!

    ReplyDelete