Wednesday, May 18, 2011

MARY LOU CLASS PART 1


Bright happy story quilts are what Mary Lou is all about. "Every quilt should tell a story" is her motto. 

I took my first class ten years ago in Pullman, WA while my mom stayed/played with my two youngest boys at the hotel!!! (Turns out they had such a good time, they called Pullman their "special" place and returned for two more visits!)
At that time, my middle son and his dad loved to play the lego racers game on the computer. This quilt tells the story of one of their races in "Davisville" with our dog Winston holding the finishing flag as my son, The Red Racer, beats his dad for his millionth win.

The Red Racer has a punching arm and Dad has spilled some nails while we, in the stands, cheer wildly!

My husband loves to BBQ. In this portrait, inspired by Mary Lou's portrait quilts, my husband is depicted in some of his finer BBQ moments!

In Mary Lou's portrait class, I was able to depict my self - once a blender with life out of control, now a blender uniting various ingrediants into one delicious concoction!

Mary Lou did a fantastic quilt to remember her 50s and I did one to remember my 30s. That's a favorite shirt my girlfriend sewed for me when I gathered my courage and gumption to take care of one of my dreams to go to the Houston Quilt Festival.

And so begins a new story of Mary Lou's three day class.

Driving up to LaConnor is a treat in itself.

Bright sunshine on the way home!!!

   We were in a nice building across the street from the Gaches Mansion that houses the LaConnor Quilt museum. http://www.laconnerquilts.com/  The museum is fabulous!! A fellow classmate, Louise, has asked that I suggest you even enter a quilt in their upcoming festival.

Here is Mary Lou! She currently has a show of her quilts at the museum

She made the quilt on the right in a Ruth McDowell class. I'll be in a Ruth McDowell class in a few weeks!!!!!

Gorgeous!

Here's me and my dear friend Sue sewing and sewing
 (I'm the sewer in the back)

Here's my stash

                                                           Here's another quilter's stash


                                    Here's the stash of my fun and kind tablemates, Liz and Linda.

                    They ended up with two great similar flowers without realizing until they were finished!

And here's Sue and me brown-nosing Mary Lou in our matching tee shirts.  Sue made those cute signs we are holding. Notice that one says, "Mary Lou, I love you." and one says, "Mary Lou I love you best." Sue and I have a fun and friendly rivalry for Mary Lou's affection. Well, sort of friendly.

Stay tuned for more Mary Lou...


3 comments:

  1. thank you thank you thank you for all the photos & keep 'em coming!! You two look great in your Mary Lounies t-shirts--so fun and original♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the photos and seeing what you have made after taking a class from ML. Looks like you had a great time. Those T-shirts are great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to google Ruth McDowell... the class looks like a blast! Can't wait for more.

    ReplyDelete